view counter

What do I need to open an RESP for my child(ren)?

by Maxine
Posted August 1 2010 12:33am
Filed under:

Opening an RESP for your child(ren) is simple. You and your child will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and you will need to choose an RESP provider. 

Getting a Social Insurance Number for your baby:

To receive a SIN number for your child you must visit a Service Canada (http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml) office and provide an official document that proves your child’s identity and status in Canada. For a Canadian citizen, you must provide a Birth Certificate or your Certificate of Canadian citizenship documents. 

If you are a Registered First Nations person and would like to register your status on your SIN record you must also submit a Certificate of Indian Status issued by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) with your Birth Certificate.

Please see Service Canada’s detailed website on this topic: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

If you have all the correct documentation you can receive a SIN when you visit the Service Canada office and your card will be mailed to you at a later date.

You can also apply by mail if you do not live near a Service Canada office or cannot schedule a visit. This will mean sending original copies of your supporting documents and an application in the mail. You can find the address and download the application here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml 

In Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and Nova Scotia parents can apply for newborn registration when their child is born. This means that you can register for your child’s SIN at the same time that you apply for their registration of birth. This convenient option will save parents from filling out multiple applications, and avoids additional visits to Service Canada. You can find more details about this program here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/newborn.shtml

0 comment(s)
Login or register to post comments
view counter


You can use a variety of Comfort, Play & Teach strategies that are tailored to different temperament traits.
Read More »
What comes to mind when you hear the phrase Positive Parenting? Positive Parenting is the approach to parenting that we believe best supports all aspects of healthy child development.
Read More »
Although your mirror cannot reflect words and ideas, there are mirror-like skills you can use to accomplish the same task—Reflective Parenting.
Read More »


This week's poll
Do you “drop everything” if a friend calls and invites you over for a play-date?

syndicated content powered by FeedBurner


FeedBurner makes it easy to receive content updates in My Yahoo!, Newsgator, Bloglines, and other news readers.
Learn more about syndication and Feedburner »